by Peter Ditzel
This is not necessarily an exhaustive list. It consists of direct statements in which Jesus said “I am….” Interestingly, all of these are in the writings of John. I have also included a few other places where Jesus implied He was something. This list does not include things that others said of Jesus (such as being the Word, the Lamb, and the Rock) that, while certainly true of Him, He did not immediately and expressly confirm.
- The Stone which the builders rejected (implied by Jesus): Jesus saith unto them, Did ye never read in the scriptures, The stone which the builders rejected, the same is become the head of the corner: this is the Lord’s doing, and it is marvellous in our eyes? Therefore say I unto you, The kingdom of God shall be taken from you, and given to a nation bringing forth the fruits thereof. And whosoever shall fall on this stone shall be broken: but on whomsoever it shall fall, it will grind him to powder.
- And he beheld them, and said, What is this then that is written, The stone which the builders rejected, the same is become the head of the corner? Whosoever shall fall upon that stone shall be broken; but on whomsoever it shall fall, it will grind him to powder.
- The Son of Man (Jesus used this term to refer to Himself throughout the Gospels).
- And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.
- The Jews then murmured at him, because he said, I am the bread which came down from heaven.
- I am that bread of life.
- I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.
- Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.
- As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world.
- Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep.
- I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.
- I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.
- I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine.
- Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?
- Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:
- I am come a light into the world, that whosoever believeth on me should not abide in darkness.
- Ye call me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for so I am.
- Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
- I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman.
- I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
- Pilate therefore said unto him, Art thou a king then? Jesus answered, Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice.
- I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.
- Saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and, What thou seest, write in a book, and send it unto the seven churches which are in Asia; unto Ephesus, and unto Smyrna, and unto Pergamos, and unto Thyatira, and unto Sardis, and unto Philadelphia, and unto Laodicea.
- And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last:
- I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.
- And I will kill her children with death; and all the churches shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts:and I will give unto every one of you according to your works.
- And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.
- I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.
- I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.
Copyright © 2009 Peter Ditzel Permissions Statement.